Content can make or break search engine optimization. According to a recent survey, nearly 50 percent of marketers believe that quality content creation is the most effective SEO strategy. This is easier said than done. However, it doesn’t mean that creating quality content is an impossible task. Storytelling is a critical aspect of this content. When you use storytelling, you should be as honest and transparent as possible, upholding consistency, persistence, and restraint. You should also infuse personality into your stories.
Why is storytelling a viable strategy?
When you use best practices for quality storytelling with content, you can maximize the following advantages.
- People relate to stories. Humans have been using words and pictures to tell stories since the beginning of time. The classic narrative that is used time and again in books and movies is comfortable and familiar. People enjoy having recognizable features, such as a solid introduction and resolution. You may also be able to create content that people remember when you break away from this norm.
- Storytelling is financially attainable. There is no limit to what you can spend to tell a story, but you do not have to break the bank to make storytelling effective for your company. For example, if you want to use a video for your story, think about making a video interview or using stock video or archive footage.
- Storytelling is concise. You can convey a concept with a brief story much more quickly than you can lay out the same point about a product or service in words. The story format may also elicit an emotional response.
How can you use high quality content to tell a great story?
Your imagination is the limit when it comes to possibilities for telling a story with high quality content. The following includes just a few ideas to get you started.
- Exploring what makes a company unique. Think about the gecko mascot for the GEICO Company. GEICO has used a memorable character to set themselves apart from their competition. The bottom line is that you want to use a story about your uniqueness to connect people to your brand.
- Creative photo collections. How can you use one of your products to tell an innovative story? Can you present a new item in a real life situation that is familiar to your customers? Think about how you can include trends in stories about your products, such as using a Visa credit card to purchase a ticket for an upcoming summer blockbuster.
- Using content from your customers. There is nothing quite as satisfying for customers as seeing content that they created on popular social media channels and blogs. People feel highly valued when they see their own photos and videos on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Showcasing fan content spurs priceless word-of-mouth promotion. When fans share stories, photos, and videos, encourage them to use a specific hashtag so that the content is easy to locate.